The Genealogy Journey

The newbie genealogist's resource for books, mags, databases, and -- of course -- any free research stuff to be found on the Internet.

Sunday, February 05, 2006

Learn How to Research Your Family Tree – Free Online Course

I don’t know about you, but some of these genealogy Web sites I visit are so noisy. Cluttered with ads and graphics, it’s difficult to even read the text, so I usually click off. So it was a relief to run across this clean and simple site:

http://www.learnwebskills.com/family/intro.html

It’s hard to believe, but you can take the entire course online and … it’s free! Some of the material covered includes:

- Working with search engines and databases

- Vital records and federal census records

- Other sources that can reveal key information

- Finding information through discussion lists and message boards

It’s great to sit down with a book for the evening, and it’s fun to click around the Web for information on our ancestors, but sometimes it’s nice to have someone tell you what to do and how to do it. Because the course is designed to be interactive, you’ll be more likely to take the steps to reach your goals. There’s something about the online course format that really pushes me to try hard. (I guess it could be that I’m competitive against myself!) I’ve taken a few online courses and never regretted it.

This is one I’m definitely going to list in my links.

~Mary Kaye

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Adlink